- Raw Rice - 2 cups
- Water -1/2 cup
- Cooked Boiled Rice - 1/2 cup(See below instructions if you do not have boiled rice)
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Yeast - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tbsp(As required)
- Salt - As required
Soak raw rice in water for 2 hours. Separate the rice from water, wash and grind it with coconut and cooked boiled rice and enough water to a medium consistency(adjust with water). Add the yeast to 1 tbsp of water and 1/2 tsp sugar and keep for 5 minutes and then add it to the rice batter. keep it overnight at a warm place for fermenting.
Next day add salt and sugar to the fermented batter(you must see the batter all bubbled up) and mix it lightly. If the batter is thick ,adjust with milk to get the consistency of dosa batter. Do not over mix.
Heat the vellayappm pan or a thick bottomed pan with a lid. Add around 1 large round spoon of batter when hot, and swirl around the pan and close the lid and cook at lower temperature. Remove the Vellayappam from the pan when the sides starts turning to golden color.
Eat while warm with Stew/coconut milk/chicken curry/Kadala curry/Egg curry.
1) If you do not have cooked boiled rice, take 1 tbsp of row rice floor, and add that to 1/2 cup of boiling water to form a thick liquid and add to the main batter.
2) Before adding batter to the pan , check if the pan is hot enough by splashing water, once the batter is added reduce temperature to low.
3) If you do not have a vellayappam pan, use regular dosa pan.
4) Pan must be covered with lid immediately after adding the batter.